Summer Enrichment 2018
Executive Function Skills Course
The Rumson Country Day School’s Executive Function Skills Course is the right program for your child to succeed in school and in life. This program will positively impact the way your son or daughter learns, studies, and organizes their materials - actually giving them more time to have fun!
Executive Function Skills Course will cover the following 10 Study Skills Strategies:
- Time & Task-Management
- Organizing at Home & School
- Writing Strategies
- Note-Taking Strategies
- Test-Taking Strategies
- Paper Organization
- Homework & Project Planning
- Communication Skills
- Reading Skills
This course is open to entering 5th graders through entering 9th graders. The instructors are certified teachers with an expertise in executive functioning. The first session will run from June 18th- June 22nd from 9:00-11:00 am. The second session will run from June 25th - June 29th from 9:00-11:00 am. The charge for each session is $1,000. Please only sign up for one session.
Spots are limited. Students may bring their own device; a laptop is preferred. iPads will be provided to students who do not bring their own devices.
Summer Academic Skills Refresher Course
The Rumson Country Day School’s Summer Academic Skills Refresher Course is designed to enhance academic skills and refresh existing ones to establish a smooth transition back into school. In this non-graded academic program, students are grouped by ability and age into small classes that focus on their most pressing educational needs. Every day, students take classes in reading, language arts, writing, and mathematics. Lessons combine hands-on activities, such as crafts and games, with technology and some traditional paper-and-pencil work.
This course is open to entering 3rd graders through entering 8th graders. The first session of the program will run from August 13th-August 17th from 9:00am-11:00am. The second session will run from August 20th - August 24th from 9:00-11:00. Please only sign up for one session. Spots are limited.
Daily classes include:
1. Reading Skills: decoding and encoding- connecting letters and sounds, decoding the text, recognizing words
2. Reading Comprehension: monitoring comprehension, metacognition, graphic and semantic organizers, answering questions, generating questions, recognizing story structure, summarizing, and annotating
3. Writing Workshop: Introduction and practice using the Writing Process, writing for a variety of purposes, utilizing graphic organizers and writing frames
4. Math Skills: teachers use a variety of manipulatives, mnemonic and multisensory strategies that are fitting to the needs of the particular child
5. Language Enrichment: Vocabulary Development, Word study, Word Usage