You Are Cordially Invited!
to celebrate a combined 169 years of service at RCDS!
Please respond at www.rcds.org/retirement or via email RSVP@rcds.org. If you cannot attend, but you would like to share a special thought, memory or photo with Mrs. Carmody, Mrs. Figarola, Mr. & Mrs. Garside or Mrs. Mansfield, please do so via email at email@example.com.
What's Happening at RCDS?
- The Jayne S. Carmody School – To honor retiring Lower School Head, Mrs. Carmody, RCDS announced earlier this year that the program formerly known as “School Within a School” would be renamed The Carmody School. The Board of Trustees approved the expansion of the faculty, the facilities and enrollment of the program starting in the 2015-16 school year. Click here for more information.
- 8th Grade Boston Trip – The capstone trip and tradition continues! Click here to view pictures from the trip!
- RCDS Brings Expert Speaker to Campus to Discuss Child Resiliency – Sponsored by the Parent Enrichment Program and recommended by current parent Marshall Lynch, Dr. Anthony Vitiello Ph.D. visited RCDS in early April to discuss child resiliency. Dr. Vitiello, a Licensed Clinical Psychologist from the Richmond, Virginia area, met with Upper School students, faculty and staff, parents of RCDS students as well as the broader community.
- “Whale of a Sale” Brings Great Financial Aid Funding – and a Shark! – to RCDS – The 46th Annual Rummage Sale at RCDS was a huge success, generating over $80,000 in gross proceeds for the RCDS Financial Aid Fund. Led by Chair Jennifer HURTT Mullins ’85 and Co-Chairs Nellie Harmon and Nancy Mazzei, RCDS’ faculty, students, families & friends made purchases ranging from books and sporting goods to Boutique and Silent Auction items. This year’s highlight was a hammerhead shark caught by Jimmy BOYLE ’82 roughly 25 years ago. After visiting various college dorm rooms of Boyle relatives, it was time for him to swim on to his next “home.” Thanks to the generosity of current parents Drew and Richelle Loughlin, the shark was donated to the RCDS Science Department and will be a classroom feature next year!
- Parent Council Sponsors Enrichment Programs – RCDS Parent Council continues its tradition of bringing supplemental enrichment opportunities to students and faculty. Recently, RCDS benefited from a visit from the Young Audiences organization, German a cappella group “Vocaldente,” The
Shakespeare Theater of New Jersey, and Engineers Teaching Algebra who all provided special and impactful presentations on topics ranging from physical disabilities and differences, to arts and S.T.E.M. Thank you, Parent Council!
- Gator Bash 2015 – On May 9, more than 400 RCDS family members welcomed Head of School Whitney Slade and his wife, Ellen, to their new home on the Jersey Shore. Thanks to Chairs Maryann Baret and Karen Puma and their amazing committee of volunteers, an incredible time was had by all and funds were raised for Parent Council and for RCDS. Click here to see photos from the event!
- Lower School Students Celebrate “Kindness Week” – Click here to see how our youngest students have brought kindness to the forefront of all our minds.
- “Summer of Innovation” Expanded Camp Program – RCDS is pleased to present an expanded array of summer offerings this year. Visit www.rcds.org/summer for more information.
Class of 2011 College News
RCDS congratulates the members of the Class of 2011 who will be matriculating at the following colleges in the fall.
|Bates College ||Lehigh University |
|Boston College ||Middlebury College |
|Brown University ||Monmouth University |
|Bucknell College ||Princeton University |
|Cornell University ||Trinity College |
|Dartmouth University ||Tufts University |
|Duke University ||University of Pennsylvania |
|Elon College ||University of Vermont |
|Gettysburg College ||Villanova University |
If your school is not listed above, please send news about your college decision to Director of Alumni Relations Jessica Goski at JGOSKI@rcds.org. We are confident that you will succeed wherever your academic path may lead you. Congratulations!
Horizons at RCDS
Horizons at RCDS will be taking place for its 19th consecutive summer, starting this June 29. Horizons offers a six-week academic, cultural and recreational enrichment program to at-risk students from a diverse, low-income population. Our students are in grades K-8 and live primarily in the Red Bank, NJ area.
Goals for Horizons at RCDS include:
- To prevent or reduce summer learning loss amongst Horizons students
- To foster lifelong desire for learning
- To provide cultural experiences and social growth
- To insure that all Horizons children learn to swim, an important life skill that saves lives and builds confidence
If you are a rising 9th-12th Grade student and are interested in volunteering with Horizons at RCDS this summer, please email HORIZONS@rcds.org.
RCDS congratulates Executive Director Lori Hohenleitner, (pictured second from right) who was recently presented with the Horizons Leadership Award at the Horizons National Conference in Norwalk, CT. Each year, Horizons National honors an Executive Director (ED) who has shown outstanding leadership in both their local community, as in the national Horizons network. Lori, who joined RCDS as Horizons ED in 2012 has raised the profile of Horizons both within and outside our school community including close partnerships with the Red Bank school district, the Community YMCA, and other local community-based organizations. Last year, she was named Community Partner of the Year by the Source at Red Bank Regional High School, where she serves on the Source Advisory Board.
We are proud of you, Lori!
Sarah Moshenberg ’99, From RCDS to the American Museum of Natural History
Sarah WOHLSTADTER Moshenberg ’99 recently partnered with RCDS Parent Council Gator Bash Chair Maryann Baret to make some children’s dreams come true. Sarah works for the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City and she provided RCDS with tickets to spend a real “Night at the Museum.”
Alumni Return to RCDS
RCDS is proud to recognize Vincent LABARBARA '11, who founded the Reaching New Horizons non-profit in 2012, as a result of having received the Horizon Fund at The Hill School. The Horizon Fund allowed Vincent to attend the Disney Institute, which in turn provided him with the knowledge to begin this special organization.
Reaching New Horizons' mission is "to raise money for private schools so that they may be able to allocate more financial aid to financially challenged children who need it and deserve it the most."
RCDS is deeply honored to have been the chosen recipient of Vincent's initial fundraising effort. Vincent recently visited RCDS in order to present a check to Head of School Whitney Slade and to share his story and the mission of Reaching New Horizons with members of our faculty and staff. The RCDS financial aid budget will be broadened and enriched by this grass-roots, alumnus-led effort. Way to go, Vincent!
Gorr SAHAKIAN ’07 recently visited Rumson Country Day and spoke before an Upper School assembly. He came to share his story of “life after RCDS” and how his time here impacted his high school and college years.
His message was consistent to our 5th through 8th grade students. He was grateful that – from his initial year at Rumson-Fair Haven High School to his subsequent years at Peddie School and then Villanova University’s School of Business – RCDS prepared him immensely well, academically, athletically, and with his sense of self.
Check Out What's New on the
Visit www.rcds.org/alumninews to read about great things that are happening for fellow RCDS Alumni, to submit comments, or to share your own news.
Members of the following Alumni classes are in the planning stage for upcoming class reunions. If you are in one of these classes, please reach out to the following contacts:
If you are interested in organizing a class reunion or simply helping RCDS stay in better touch with you and your former classmates, please contact JGOSKI@rcds.org.
Save The Dates
- Tuesday, June 2- RCDS Retirement Celebration for Mrs. Carmody, Mrs. Figarola, Mr. & Mrs. Garside, Mrs. Mansfield at The Riverhouse at Rumson Country Club. Respond via www.rcds.org/retirement or via email RSVP@rcds.org - all (21 years of age and older) are welcome!
- Sunday, August 30 - RCDS "Day at The Races" - We are excited to host an event for all members of the RCDS family at Monmouth Park Racetrack on Sunday, August 30. Food, refreshments, children's activities and a special RCDS horserace will all be a part of the fun - stay tuned for more information!
Join RCDS Alumni on Facebook
Join the RCDS Alumni Facebook group in order to stay current on school news and events, and to catch up with former classmates and fellow Gators.
Join RCDS Alumni on LinkedIn
Join the Rumson Country Day School Alumni Group on LinkedIn to reconnect, share professional skills, and network with fellow RCDS Alumni.